Update: We are at 82% of the $15,000 goal!!!
We need your help to create a “day-in-the-life” documentary about a Haitian child and share it with Canadian schools. Help to inspire Canadian students to get involved in creating positive change in their community and their world. Your tax-deductable donation to the Shine Foundation (charity # 851730572RR0001) will cover airfare, meals, local travel, security, communications, and filming. It will provide supplies for the Haitian orphanages, schools and family involved. By sharing the needs of Haitian children with kids in Canadian schools, we hope to inspire ALL kids to participate in their journey of making a difference.
Share Share Share!
- If you cannot contribute financially, share this project with others so that the help we need finds us.
- Day 7 Apr 9 in Haiti
- Day 6 Apr 8 in Haiti
- Day 5 Apr 7 in Haiti
- Day 4 Apr 6 in Haiti
- Day 3 Apr 5 in Haiti
- Day 2 Apr 4 in Haiti
- Day 1 Apr 3 in Haiti
- Apr 1 – Video equipment arrives. More instruments arrive. We decide to donate our studio equipment.
- Mar 31 – Half of the supplies donated by schools arrives. Most suitcases packed. Donated musical instruments start to arrive
- Mar 8 – We passed the 50% mark on our campaign! We’re at $8280!! THANK YOU and please keep giving!
- Mar 2 – We got our first vaccination shots. Ouch!
These organizations generously helped us with cash donations, products, and services:
- Manulife Asset Management donated $6,000! Manulife Assset Management, the asset management arm of Manulife Financial Corporation, are a leading global asset manager with over 300 investment professionals in 17 countries and territories across North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific and South America to manage over US$208 billion in assets.
- Forget and Associates, Barristers donated $2000. They specialize in insurance advice and litigation.
- Musicare for donating 2 alto saxophones, 2 cornets, 2 clarinets, 1 flute, cases and accessories
- Air Canada donated shipping of the musical instruments, school supplies, and household supplies
- Le Marcelin Hotel in Port-au-Prince sponsored our accommodations in Haiti.
- Fondation Kanpe – Kanpe Foundation accommodating us in Haiti and
- Ottawa Softub for donating a travel ticket
- École secondaire catholique Garneau – collecting supplies with students
- L’école élémentaire catholique L’Étoile-de-l’Est – collecting supplies with students
We are a rock band of three young brothers (now 12, 13 and 14) whose street performances raised over $140,000 for charity after the loss of our mother to cancer in 2008. We accidentally became young social activists, just by doing something to improve the lives of others.
We write and perform our own music, released an album, and perform regularly as a professional band.
We received United Way’s Community Builder of the Year Award for 2011, so our names will be permanently etched into the Wall of Inspiration in Canada’s capital, Ottawa.
We raise money for Haiti as official Ambassadors of the Kanpe Foundation, with Arcade Fire matching all donations dollar for dollar.
Our Goals and Objectives
- raise awareness and funds for Haiti’s on-going needs
- contribute to and support our local community
- enroll the active support of Canadian students in supporting Haiti’s transformation
- educate, inspire, and empower youth to choose to make a difference
- rock out as hard as we can, wherever we can, whenever we can
What’s the “Day-in-the-Life” Project About?
After we return home, we will compile the “Day-in-a-Life” video and prepare to deliver bilingual workshops in Ontario schools. The workshop will blend the video with a musical performance and short talk from the band. We will let students know about the situation in Haiti, about our experience there, and invite them to participate in initiatives related to social activism. For them, this will also meet their curriculum requirement to complete a community involvement activity. Our school, Ecole Secondaire Garneau, will participate by helping us to gather much needed supplies for Haitian school children.
We will also share our story on our blog and with a national news feature. Stay tuned…